- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Club news 5/31/06
American Legion Auxiliary 63
Betty Cato, president, presided over the May 10 meeting of the American Legion Auxiliary Post 63 with 15 members in attendance.
A thank-you note was read from Phyllis McDowell, District 14 vice president, who resides in Caruthersville, Mo. She was thanking Unit 63 for the donation of $100 for disaster relief.
Members will begin working on a quilt to be donated to the American Cancer Society for the 2007 Cancer Gala fundraising event. Juanita Cook donated a red, white and blue quilt top and Med Assets will donate all supplies needed to complete the project. Patsy Kimbrel will coordinate the activity.
The June 10 meeting will honor Gold Star mothers and women veterans residing at the Missouri Veterans Home. Barbara Yallaly will serve as chairwoman of the noon luncheon and program.
Alpha Mu Master
Alpha Mu Master Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi met at the Royal N'Orleans Restaurant for the annual chapter "end of the year" dinner. The meeting was conducted by Vicki McKinney, incoming president.
Thank-you notes for chapter gifts were received from Carole Calvin, woman of the year; Margaret Little, outgoing president; and the Hope House.
The "program of the year" award was presented to Charlotte Bess for her program about the history of Cape Girardeau.
Perfect attendance awards were presented to Bernie Gardner, Judie Herbst, Marsha Parrish, Marilyn Schwab, Mary Schwab, Calvin, Little and McKinney.
Dinner out plans for the summer were made. They are as follows, June 8 at Olive Garden; July 13 at Ruby Tuesday followed by a movie; and Aug. 10 will be decided later.
Secret pal gifts were exchanged and new names were drawn. The theme for the new Beta Sigma Phi year is "75 years young."
Dixie Jones and Martha Slaten were each presented a gift as new members of the chapter.
Regular chapter meetings will resume in September.
-- From staff reports