- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
ORAN, Mo. -- Sylvia Marie Hooker McConnell, 84, of Oran died Monday, May 29, 2006, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born May 17, 1922, in Oran, daughter of the late Werner Washington and Rosa Ann Schlosser Hooker. She and Floyd R. McConnell were married Jan. 30, 1940.
McConnell was a member of Guardian Angel Catholic Church and its St. Ann's Sodality in Oran, Morley VFW Auxiliary Post 5368, and Cape Girardeau Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary Chapter 16.
Survivors include her husband, Floyd McConnell of the home; two sons and daughters-in-law, Merlin and Johnetta McConnell of Scott City, Eddie and Rebecca McConnell of Oran; a brother and sister-in-law, John Wilburn and Evelyn Hooker of Pharr, Texas; four grandchildren, Van (Angela) McConnell of Oran, Ginger (Brent) Rampley of Benton, Mo., Lance (Cindy) McConnell of Jackson, Tim (Lesli) McConnell of Scott City; two stepchildren, Lorena (Steve) Gebhardt of Oran, Lisa (Richard) Scherer of Benton; and seven great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by two sisters, four brothers, and a daughter-in-law, Lynda McConnell.
Friends may call at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Oran after 4 p.m. today. Parish prayers will be at 6:30.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at Guardian Angel Church, with the Rev. John Harth officiating. Burial will be at 1 p.m. in Missouri State Veterans Cemetery at Bloomfield.
Pallbearers will be Lance McConnell, Tim McConnell, Brent Rampley, Buster Bollinger, Jeryl Slinkard and Robert Burton.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials be made to Southeast Hospice, 760 S. Kingshighway Suite C, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63703.