- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Cape opens district play with win over Dunklin Co.
The Cape Girardeau Ford and Sons American Legion team opened district play with a 6-1 win over Dunklin County on the road Tuesday.
Post 63, which swept a doubleheader at De Soto on Sunday, improved to 3-0.
Cape pitcher Kirk Boeller was too much for Dunklin County to handle, as the recent Notre Dame graduate cruised through all nine innings without allowing an earned run. Boeller allowed seven hits, walked one and struck out five.
"He was dominant," Ford and Sons coach Dave Meyr said. "He only threw about 114 pitches. He just kept throwing, and his pitch count was low, so we kept putting him out there."
After Dunklin County tied the score at 1-1 in the third inning, Post 63 scored five unanswered runs, including two in the eighth inning.
Ty Craft and Eric Ennis had three hits apiece for Cape. Craft had a home run and scored three runs, and Ennis recorded a double and three RBIs. Cody Schaefer added two runs for Ford and Sons, which finished with nine hits.
Scott County wins opener
Scott County Post 369 started its season with a 15-3, nine-inning rout of the visiting Charleston Senior Babe Ruth squad.
Caleb Daughhetee had two hits, including a home run, for Scott County, and Jacob Essner went 3-6 with a triple.
Post 369 will be in action again today with a doubleheader at Sikeston.
-- From staff reports