- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)8
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Emerson lauded for food program
To the editor:
On behalf of the National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association) and the low-income seniors, mothers and young children who are provided nutritious foods through program, I want to applaud the leadership of U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson. As a member of the House subcommittee in charge of appropriations for food programs, Emerson made certain that the administration's proposal to eliminate CSFP was thoroughly examined when Department of Agriculture officials appeared before the committee. And when the time came to determine whether or not this vital help would be available next year to our neighbors in need, they acted decisively.
Although the legislative process to set the federal budget and spending priorities for next year is long and difficult, there are important steps along the way. Emerson and the subcommittee have assured that this first step maintains and continues this vital nutrition assistance program. Their responsiveness to the outpouring of support for this program and the expressions of concern for people challenged by hunger was evident throughout their consideration of this appropriation. Thank you, Representative Emerson.
TIM ROBERTSON, President, National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association, Eagle, Neb.