- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
Emerson lauded for food program
To the editor:
On behalf of the National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association) and the low-income seniors, mothers and young children who are provided nutritious foods through program, I want to applaud the leadership of U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson. As a member of the House subcommittee in charge of appropriations for food programs, Emerson made certain that the administration's proposal to eliminate CSFP was thoroughly examined when Department of Agriculture officials appeared before the committee. And when the time came to determine whether or not this vital help would be available next year to our neighbors in need, they acted decisively.
Although the legislative process to set the federal budget and spending priorities for next year is long and difficult, there are important steps along the way. Emerson and the subcommittee have assured that this first step maintains and continues this vital nutrition assistance program. Their responsiveness to the outpouring of support for this program and the expressions of concern for people challenged by hunger was evident throughout their consideration of this appropriation. Thank you, Representative Emerson.
TIM ROBERTSON, President, National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association, Eagle, Neb.