- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Marble Hill man accused of beating, kidnapping woman (6/27/17)
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Business notebook: Man's cheesecake whim becomes a full-time vocation (6/26/17)
Emerson lauded for food program
To the editor:
On behalf of the National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association) and the low-income seniors, mothers and young children who are provided nutritious foods through program, I want to applaud the leadership of U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson. As a member of the House subcommittee in charge of appropriations for food programs, Emerson made certain that the administration's proposal to eliminate CSFP was thoroughly examined when Department of Agriculture officials appeared before the committee. And when the time came to determine whether or not this vital help would be available next year to our neighbors in need, they acted decisively.
Although the legislative process to set the federal budget and spending priorities for next year is long and difficult, there are important steps along the way. Emerson and the subcommittee have assured that this first step maintains and continues this vital nutrition assistance program. Their responsiveness to the outpouring of support for this program and the expressions of concern for people challenged by hunger was evident throughout their consideration of this appropriation. Thank you, Representative Emerson.
TIM ROBERTSON, President, National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association, Eagle, Neb.