- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)12
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
Emerson lauded for food program
To the editor:
On behalf of the National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association) and the low-income seniors, mothers and young children who are provided nutritious foods through program, I want to applaud the leadership of U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson. As a member of the House subcommittee in charge of appropriations for food programs, Emerson made certain that the administration's proposal to eliminate CSFP was thoroughly examined when Department of Agriculture officials appeared before the committee. And when the time came to determine whether or not this vital help would be available next year to our neighbors in need, they acted decisively.
Although the legislative process to set the federal budget and spending priorities for next year is long and difficult, there are important steps along the way. Emerson and the subcommittee have assured that this first step maintains and continues this vital nutrition assistance program. Their responsiveness to the outpouring of support for this program and the expressions of concern for people challenged by hunger was evident throughout their consideration of this appropriation. Thank you, Representative Emerson.
TIM ROBERTSON, President, National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association, Eagle, Neb.