- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Scott City, Oran name top graduates
Over the next several weeks, the Southeast Missourian will feature profiles on the 2006 valedictorians and salutatorians from local high schools.
Matthew David Hayes, valeditorian
Parents: Mark and Debbie Hayes
Involved in: Science club, FBLA, Model UN, speech, National Honor Society, Student Council,
Post-high school Plans: "I will be attending the University of Missouri-Columbia. I plan to major in chemical engineering and minor in business management."
Greatest high school achievement: "I have maintained an 11.0 G.P.A. for all four years of high school. I am the valedictorian of my class, and this is my greatest achievement."
Favorite Quote: "What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rachel Watkins, salutatorian
Parents: David and Kathy Watkins
Involved in: Local president of FTA, president of Southeast Region of FTA, FBLA, student council, National Honor Society, pep club president, yearbook staff, varsity cheerleader for three years, volleyball player for four years, track.
Post-high school plans: "I am enrolled in the University of Missouri Journalism School where I plan to major in either broadcast journalism or advertising, and then maybe attend law school."
Greatest high school achievement: "Realizing that the relationships and differences you make in yourself and others are more important than any lesson you might learn out of a book."
Favorite Quote: "If there ever is a tomorrow when we're not together, there is something you must always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -- Winnie the Pooh
Kyle J. Campbell, valedictorian
Parents: Kelly and Sandi Campbell
Involved in: Beta club secretary, Future Business Leaders of America, science club president, Spanish club, art club, National Honor Society, National Society of High School Scholars.
Post-high school plans: Missouri State University with a major in pre-pharmacy
Greatest high school achievement: Star Student of the Month.
Favorite quote: "Those who say winning isn't everything, lost." -- Anonymous.
Parents: Gary and Mary Puckett
Involved in: BETA club treasurer, Future Business Leaders of American and Spanish Club public relations director, Art Club vice-president, Drama Club, Pep Band section leader, National Honor Society, National Society of High School Scholars.
Post-high school plans: Southeast Missouri State University with a major in finance and a minor in music performance.
Greatest high school achievement: Graduating salutatorian
Favorite quote: "Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes thetime. Vision with action can change the world." -- Joel Barker.