- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
New La Croix student ministry leader named
La Croix United Methodist Church recently named a new student ministries director for the congregation.
Mike Fitzpatrick is a recent graduate of Asbury Theological Seminary. He began work at the church July 21.
Gospel singing organized by Villa Ridge church
Shiloh Baptist Church of Villa Ridge, Ill., will host the Gloryroad Travelers and the Hallelujah Singers during a service at 7 p.m. Aug. 2. Call (618) 995-2306.
Open house organized to greet new pastor
Grace United Methodist Church will hold an old-fashioned ice cream social at 6:30 p.m. Sunday to welcome the Rev. Scott Moon and his wife, Michele, to Cape Girardeau. The ice cream social will be held in the church fellowship hall.
Moon last served at First United Methodist Church in Warrensburg, Mo., where he also served the campus and Whiteman Air Force Base.
He previously served in Cape Girardeau as director of the Wesley House campus ministry and Third Street church.
He and his wife have four children.
Open House planned at Trinity in Cape
Trinity Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau will hold a community open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Aug. 3 in honor of the church's 150th anniversary.
For information, contact the church at 335-8224.
Card party sponsored at Trinity in Cape
The Trinity Lutheran Ladies' Senior Aid will sponsor a card party from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Aug. 8 in the fellowship room at the church.
There will be refreshments, attendance prizes and table prizes. For tickets, call 335-9089. Proceeds from the event will benefit church-related projects.
Mud Olympics event planned at La Croix
La Croix United Methodist Church will hold a mud olympics event Aug. 17 for students. Registration is at 2 p.m. and the event begins at 2:30 p.m.
There will be an adults event Aug. 16 at 7 p.m.
The activity is sponsored by the student ministries department at the church.
For information, phone the church at 339-0302.
St. Mark gives housing to youth groups
St. Mark Lutheran Church ELCA in Cape Girardeau has provided overnight housing for several youth groups pasing through the state on their way to mission projects.
The groups came from Minnesota, Iowa and North Dakota. Many were taking part in "youth works" mission projects in southern states. The projects help make home repairs for the needy.
Vacation Bible school set at First Christian
First Christian Church in Cape Girardeau will kick off its vacation Bible school from 4:30 to 8 p.m. Aug. 3. Regular sessions will be from 5:15 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Aug. 4 to 7. The theme is "Son Harvest County Fair."
-- From staff reports