- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
New La Croix student ministry leader named
La Croix United Methodist Church recently named a new student ministries director for the congregation.
Mike Fitzpatrick is a recent graduate of Asbury Theological Seminary. He began work at the church July 21.
Gospel singing organized by Villa Ridge church
Shiloh Baptist Church of Villa Ridge, Ill., will host the Gloryroad Travelers and the Hallelujah Singers during a service at 7 p.m. Aug. 2. Call (618) 995-2306.
Open house organized to greet new pastor
Grace United Methodist Church will hold an old-fashioned ice cream social at 6:30 p.m. Sunday to welcome the Rev. Scott Moon and his wife, Michele, to Cape Girardeau. The ice cream social will be held in the church fellowship hall.
Moon last served at First United Methodist Church in Warrensburg, Mo., where he also served the campus and Whiteman Air Force Base.
He previously served in Cape Girardeau as director of the Wesley House campus ministry and Third Street church.
He and his wife have four children.
Open House planned at Trinity in Cape
Trinity Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau will hold a community open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Aug. 3 in honor of the church's 150th anniversary.
For information, contact the church at 335-8224.
Card party sponsored at Trinity in Cape
The Trinity Lutheran Ladies' Senior Aid will sponsor a card party from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Aug. 8 in the fellowship room at the church.
There will be refreshments, attendance prizes and table prizes. For tickets, call 335-9089. Proceeds from the event will benefit church-related projects.
Mud Olympics event planned at La Croix
La Croix United Methodist Church will hold a mud olympics event Aug. 17 for students. Registration is at 2 p.m. and the event begins at 2:30 p.m.
There will be an adults event Aug. 16 at 7 p.m.
The activity is sponsored by the student ministries department at the church.
For information, phone the church at 339-0302.
St. Mark gives housing to youth groups
St. Mark Lutheran Church ELCA in Cape Girardeau has provided overnight housing for several youth groups pasing through the state on their way to mission projects.
The groups came from Minnesota, Iowa and North Dakota. Many were taking part in "youth works" mission projects in southern states. The projects help make home repairs for the needy.
Vacation Bible school set at First Christian
First Christian Church in Cape Girardeau will kick off its vacation Bible school from 4:30 to 8 p.m. Aug. 3. Regular sessions will be from 5:15 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Aug. 4 to 7. The theme is "Son Harvest County Fair."
-- From staff reports