Learning briefs 5/16/06
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
* Buchheit Inc. has awarded 2006 Buchheit CEO scholarships to Lorean Torerbrak, daughter of Buchheit employee Billy Upchurch; Kelsey Gjerstad, daughter Buchheit employee of Ron Gjerstad and Ashley Jones, daughter of Buchheit employee John Jones.
* Andrew Buelow, a student at Notre Dame Regional High School and son of Kevin and Patricia Buelow, received the Academic Achievement, Dean's and Bright Flight scholarships.
* P&G Fund scholarships have been awarded to John Kiblinger of Notre Dame Regional High School and Hannah Kohm of Jackson High School.
* Kelli Nagel, Robert Cheney Jr., and Lance Altenthal, all of Jackson; and Darris Gerlach Jr. and Laura Burdick, both of Cape Girardeau, have received Regents' scholarships to attend Southeast Missouri State University.
Altenthal and Burdick also received Missouri Assessment Program scholarships.
Nagel and Cheney are seniors at Jackson High School. Altenthal, Gerlach and Burdick attend Cape Girardeau Central High School.
Nagel is the daughter of Mark and Terri Nagel of Jackson. Cheney is the son of Robert and Sherry Cheney of Jackson. Altenthal is the son of Brad and Karen Altenthal of Jackson. Gerlach is the son of Darris and Tina Gerlach of Cape Girardeau. Burdick is the daughter of Brad and Anna Burdick of Cape Girardeau.
* Scott Dunaway of Cape Girardeau and Paul Davis of Oran, Mo., have been awarded President's Plus and Missouri Assessment program scholarships to attend Southeast Missouri State University.
A senior at Central High School, Dunaway is the son of Mike and Mary Dunaway of Cape Girardeau.
A senior at Scott County Central High School, Davis is the son of Rodney and Debbie Davis of Oran.
* Christy Laxton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Laxton of Scott City, has been placed on the Dean's List for the spring 2006 semester at Central Methodist University in Fayette, Mo.
* Rachel Dibooglu of Perryville, Mo., a student in the nursing program at the Cape Girardeau Career and Technology Center, received a scholarship from Church Women United.
* Cierra Simpson and Cassidy Harris, both of Cape Girardeau; Matthew Hoffman of Jackson, and Cassandra Dillow of Scott City have received President's scholarships to attend Southeast Missouri State University.
Simpson, Harris and Hoffman also received Missouri Assessment Program scholarships.
Simpson and Harris attend Central High School. Hoffman is a senior at Jackson High School. Dillow is a senior at Scott City High School.
Simpson is the daughter of Eugene and Cheryl Simpson of Cape Girardeau. Harris is the daughter of Kevin and Catherine Harris of Cape Girardeau. Hoffman is the son of Mark Hoffman of Jackson and the late Tammy Hoffman. Dillow is the daughter of Stan Dillow of Scott City.
Schlosser joins Phi Beta Kappa
Christine Schlosser of Cape Girardeau, a senior at Truman State University in Kirksville, Mo., was inducted into the Delta of Missouri chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's oldest undergraduate academic honor society in the liberal arts and sciences.
Chaffee student accepted to honors program
Levi Horrell of Chaffee, Mo., has entered the honors program at the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho.
Ryan LeGrand, son of David and Diane LeGrand of Cape Girardeau, graduated from the University of Missouri with a doctor of medicine degree. He will start his residency in general surgery at the University of Louisville in July.
-- From staff reports