- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Holiday World has new roller coaster
SANTA CLAUS, Ind. -- Holiday World has a new attraction -- a 1.2 mile-long wooden roller coaster that gives riders a feeling of weightlessness.
The Voyage features three drops of more than 100 feet, which will give riders a feeling of free-fall for about 24 seconds during the ride, park President Will Koch said.
Built as part of the southern Indiana theme park's new Thanksgiving section, The Voyage is among the world's longest wooden roller coasters, Koch said. The coaster will have a top speed of 67 mph and take riders through five underground tunnels.
Enthusiasts from the Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain were among those testing the coaster during its first rides, park officials said.
The park about 35 miles east of Evansville opened May 6. Officials hope the coaster and other new rides this season will boost attendance at Holiday World this summer.