- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Community briefs 5/8/06
Glenn House tour season begins this weekend
The Glenn House opens its tour season from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, beginning this weekend, continuing until the end of October. Special tours may be arranged by calling the Cape Girardeau Convention and Visitors Bureau at 335-1631.
EMA training courses planned for Saturday
The Scott County Emergency Management and Scott County Citizen Corps will hold two 4-hour courses: shelter operations and shelter simulation from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Scott County EMA Training Center, 22842 US 61, Morley, Mo. The courses are open to all Community Emergency Response Team members as well as all local first responder, fire, EMS and law enforcement agencies. Call (573) 545-9113, (573) 545-9189 or (573) 472-0933 to enroll.
McGuire Cemetery memorial service set
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. May 21 at McGuire Cemetery, Route OO, two miles south of Burfordville. The Rev. Jed Smith will speak and a brief business meeting will follow the service. Contributions will be taken for cemetery maintenance or may be mailed to Earl Stovall, treasurer, 2756 Tanglewood, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63702. Make checks payable to McGuire Cemetery fund. Call Donna Eakins, president, at 334-8117 with questions.
Pleasant Hill Day planned for May 28
The annual Pleasant Hill Day will begin with worship at 11 a.m. May 28 in Fruitland, followed by a noon basket dinner on the grounds. Families should bring table service, folding tables and chairs. Guest speaker is Weldon Macke. Music will be provided by Santa Fe. Contributions for Pleasant Hill Cemetery upkeep may be sent to Ruth Tinnin, 2825 Bloomfield Road, Apt. 107, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63703.
Cast and crew call by Independent Film Assoc.
Cape Independent Film Association is recruiting for several future films. The cast and crew call for actors, musicians and anyone else interested in working on independent films will be from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday at Centenary United Methodist Church Family Life Center, 300 N. Ellis St., Cape Girardeau.
Elks dental unit helps eligible county residents
Patients eligible for free dental care from Bollinger and Perry Counties may visit the Elks Mobile Dental Unit at Highway 61-67 South/4 Elks Drive, Festus from Monday, May 22 to Thursday, June 22. For more information call Barbara Cushman at (816) 404-6904.
-- From staff reports