- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)22
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
Miscommunication on filing
To the editor:
In response to a newspaper article released by The Associated Press concerning possible disqualification from the August election ballot, I did in fact file my personal financial interest statement with the Missouri Ethics Commission, which is contrary to what was reported on April 26.
To further explain, on Feb. 28, I officially filed with the local election official in Scott County to become a candidate for associate circuit judge in Scott County. I was provided documentation which explicitly states that I did not have to file a personal financial interest statement. The document was signed by an election official and given to me.
I also contacted the Missouri Ethics Commission on Jan. 3 prior to filing to inquire about several issues, including filing a personal financial interest statement. I was informed by an employee with the Missouri Ethics Commission I did not need to file a personal financial interest statement.
This past Tuesday, the local election authority in Scott County was contacted by the Missouri Ethics Commission and informed that I should have filed the above document. Immediately upon being notified, I filed the statement with the Missouri Ethics Commission.
I am confident the Missouri Ethics Commission in its review will realize this was simply a matter of miscommunication.
SCOTT HORMAN, Scott City