- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Miscommunication on filing
To the editor:
In response to a newspaper article released by The Associated Press concerning possible disqualification from the August election ballot, I did in fact file my personal financial interest statement with the Missouri Ethics Commission, which is contrary to what was reported on April 26.
To further explain, on Feb. 28, I officially filed with the local election official in Scott County to become a candidate for associate circuit judge in Scott County. I was provided documentation which explicitly states that I did not have to file a personal financial interest statement. The document was signed by an election official and given to me.
I also contacted the Missouri Ethics Commission on Jan. 3 prior to filing to inquire about several issues, including filing a personal financial interest statement. I was informed by an employee with the Missouri Ethics Commission I did not need to file a personal financial interest statement.
This past Tuesday, the local election authority in Scott County was contacted by the Missouri Ethics Commission and informed that I should have filed the above document. Immediately upon being notified, I filed the statement with the Missouri Ethics Commission.
I am confident the Missouri Ethics Commission in its review will realize this was simply a matter of miscommunication.
SCOTT HORMAN, Scott City