- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
Administrators made right decision
To the editor:
I applaud the administrators of Bloomfield, Scott City and Woodland High Schools for deciding not to take their students to see Southeast Missouri State University's production of "Romeo and Juliet." I hope the students affected will recognize the moral courage it took to make that decision and will realize that it was done with their best interests in mind. I'm sure the administrators of those schools will take some flak for this, but I also believe there are many other parents like myself who appreciate them for setting such a courageous example for other educational leaders.
I have not seen the play as presented by the university, so I have only the reviews published in the Missourian with which to judge. However, it sounds to me like this production was going for the shock factor over artistic and theatrical expression. Any junior high boy can stand on a stage and grab himself, belch and stumble. That requires no acting or artistic ability.
What a shame that the evidently impressive costuming and outstanding set construction were wasted on such a vulgar presentation.
I hope other school administrations take note of the example set for them by Bloomfield, Scott City and Woodland.
CINDY ROUGGLY, Jackson