- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Community briefs 4/20/06
Mrs. Missouri pageant planned for weekend
The 30th annual Mrs. Missouri America pageant will be held Friday and Saturday in Chillicothe, Mo., at the Dickinson Performing Arts Center. A parade is scheduled for 2 p.m.; pageant begins at 7:30 p.m. Call (660) 646-0423 for more information.
Civil War Roundtable to meet this weekend
Members will meet between 8 and 9 a.m. Saturday at Capaha Park or Fort D for clean-up. Bring stiff metal brushes, painting equipment, chain saws, hand sledges and shovels. A 2 p.m. Sunday meeting will be held at Hanover Lutheran Church, 2949 Perryville Road, Cape Girardeau with a program on Ford D's place in history by club member Scott House.
Mobile pet adoption Saturday at PetCo
The Humane Society of Southeast Missouri will hold a mobile adoption from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at PetCo. Information on the 25th annual auction and tickets for the car raffle will be available. For more information, call 334-5837.
MS Walk scheduled for Sunday at Arena Park
The 17th annual multiple sclerosis walk to raise money for the research, cure and treatment of MS will be held at noon Sunday at Arena Park. Registration will begin at 11 a.m. Funds will also support direct services and programs to more than 5,200 people living with MS in a 90-county service area. To register early, call (314) 781-9020 or (800) FIGHT-MS, visit the Web site at www.gatewaymswalk.org or fax (314) 781-1440.
SMMHC plans volunteer recognition
During National Volunteer Week April 23 to 29, the Southeast Missouri Mental Health Center will recognize those who have volunteered more than 1,000 hours. The recognition will be from 3 to 4 p.m. Wednesday at SMMHC. For more information, call (573) 218-6730.
Gold Wing Road Riders Association meets May 4
The Gold Wing Road Riders Association Chapter 1 of Jackson meets for dinner at 6 p.m with meeting at 7 p.m. the first Thursday of the month. The ext meeting is May 4. All bikes welcome. Short- and long-distance rides are scheduled through the fall. For more information, call (573) 275-6580.
Retired federal employees to meet
National Association of Retired Federal Employees Chapter 1237 will be holding its next meeting at noon May 9 at Ponderosa Steakhouse in Perryville, Mo. All current and retired federal employees in Perry, Ste. Genevieve and Cape Girardeau counties are encouraged to attend. The Tony Schilli combo will provide musical entertainment. For more information, call (573) 547-4249.
-- From staff reports