- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Southeast offers an extension to Smith
The Redhawks coach reportedly has been tendered a three-year contract.
Southeast Missouri State athletic director Don Kaverman believes a contract extension for women's basketball coach B.J. Smith will be announced in the next several days.
Kaverman said Smith was handed the paperwork for the extension Monday afternoon. Now it's up to Smith to sign it.
"We have offered him an extension. We just gave it to him this afternoon," Kaverman said. "We expect to hear back from him in the next day or so. We hope to have it all done this week."
The contract extension that the university offered Smith is reportedly for three years, although sources said Smith was looking for four years. There are also reportedly some other sticking points in the contract that could potentially cause a delay.
Smith, reached early Monday evening, said: "I haven't really had a chance to go over it yet, but hopefully something will be announced pretty soon."
The current contract of Smith, who recently completed his fourth season as Southeast's coach, expires on April 30.
The Southeast women's basketball program is being investigated by the NCAA for possible rules violations, but the results are not expected to be announced for some time. Standard college coaching contracts contain clauses for potential NCAA violations.
Smith is 79-41 as Southeast's coach, and he recently led the Redhawks to the program's first NCAA Division I tournament berth.
Southeast has the Ohio Valley Conference's best record both overall and in league play over the last four years.