Out of the past 4/2/06

Sunday, April 2, 2006

25 years ago: April 2, 1981

The confirmation of another rabid skunk in the Cape Girardeau area has further heightened concern of health officials that there may be an epidemic situation developing among that species of animal; the infected animal is the third skunk to be confirmed as having rabies in recent weeks; a cat in a rural county area also was confirmed as having rabies.

The former location of the Cape Girardeau Fire Department headquarters might soon become the new home of the Southeast Missouri Museum, if the city council acts favorably on a request from the museum's board of directors; the museum has been closed since last summer, when its lease on a building at 123 N. Water St. expired.

50 years ago: April 2, 1956

Easter was observed in local churches yesterday with the largest turnout of the year, reports show; there were 6,100 people in Sunday schools; five sunrise services in Cape Girardeau drew large crowds.

Keller Avenue, which has been one of the most difficult streets in Cape Girardeau to be processed for paving, finally makes the grade; the city council approves plans, specifications and estimates of cost, and orders the street paved; a contract for the work should be made within a few weeks.

75 years ago: April 2, 1931

Word is received that the two Cape Girardeau hospitals have been recognized by the American Medical Association and will continue to receive the highest rating; the nursing school at Southeast Missouri Hospital also receives national recognition.

Official confirmation is received from the Illinois State Highway Department that the location of the remaining portion of Highway 146, from Ware to Anna, Ill., connecting the Cape Girardeau bridge with Illinois Highway 2 at Anna, has been accepted.

100 years ago: April 2, 1906

John T. Stratman, who has been with D.A. Glenn in the mercantile business 15 years, surprised his many friends Saturday by announcing he will retire from that profession to take a half-interest in the electrical business of J.A. McElroy.

Considerable surprise is caused in the wholesale and retail grocery trade of Cape Girardeau, when it is announced that the Nicholas-Scharff Grocery Co. had withdrawn from the city; the large stock of goods, which was maintained at the foot of Water Street, was loaded on the Grey Eagle and the Chester Saturday and transported to the company's main house in St. Louis.

- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: