- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police: Men chase woman, fire shots, apologize for mistaken ID when mom arrives (06/17/16)14
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)15
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Business notebook: Plastics firm moves to area to help laid-off workers (06/20/16)1
- Freshman from Southeast Missouri ropes in state title (06/16/16)
Shirley Jean Gatewood, 68, of Cape Girardeau passed away Wednesday, March 29, 2006, at her home.
She was born Nov. 14, 1937, in Caruthersville, Mo., daughter of the late Aubrey and Hester Kindred Hicks. She was a 1954 graduate of Caruthersville High School, and then graduated from Methodist Hospital School of Nursing.
She and Bobby Gatewood were married Dec. 26, 1959, in Caruthersville.
She and Bobby resided in Jonesboro, Ark., where Shirley worked 11 years at St. Bernard Hospital as the operating room supervisor. In 1977 the family moved to Cape Girardeau. Shirley worked at Saint Francis Same Day Surgery, the former Cape LaCroix Nursing Home, and was director of nurses at Chaffee Nursing Center, retiring in September 1999. She continued to work on weekends at Missouri Veterans Home, and volunteered at Southeast Missouri Hospital.
In 2002 the Gatewoods became members of Lynwood Baptist Church. They were active in the Sonlight Life Group Class. In Shirley's memory, the church will initiate a new program called the Lynwood Gatewood Girls to assist seniors with home shopping.
Survivors include Bobby, her loving husband of 46 years; a daughter, Valorie Nelson of Jackson; two sisters, Delores (Bob) Andoe of Aurora, Ill., and Kathryn (Bill) Irions of Altus, Okla.
In addition to her parents, she was also preceded in death by a brother, Darrell Hicks, July 20, 2005.
Friends may call today from 5 to 8 p.m. at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson.
The funeral will be Saturday at 1 p.m. at the funeral home, with Dr. Derek Staples officiating. Interment will follow in Russell Heights Cemetery in Jackson.
Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to Lynwood Gatewood Girls.
Sympathy messages may be sent to the family online at www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.