- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
One man arrested after police follow suspicious vehicle
One person was in custody and two others were being sought for fleeing from Cape Girardeau police over the weekend.
When a police officer saw a driver fail to use a signal while turning south on to Kingshighway from eastbound Independence Street at 12:18 p.m. Sunday, he attempted to curb the vehicle, police spokesman Jason Selzer said.
Instead of pulling over, the vehicle sped up and an unknown item was tossed out a window, Selzer said. The officer slowed down and began following the vehicle from a distance.
Near the intersection of Park Avenue and Bloomfield Street, the eastbound vehicle ran off the roadway and struck a home at 1225 Bloomfield St., Selzer said. Details of the accident andthe extent of damage to the home were not immediately available Monday night.
Following the crash, three people in the vehicle ran off in different directions, and police were only able to arrest one.
The person arrested an 18-year-old man who was a passenger in the car and told officers he did not know who the other passenger or driver were, according to Selzer. He was being held pending charges.
The vehicle was a rental, and investigators have an idea of who the other two suspects were, Selzer said. They were still being sought Monday night.