- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Community briefs 3/23/06
Cape Girardeau VFW events open to public
The Cape Girardeau VFW has announced several upcoming events.
* Beginning at 6:30 p.m. Friday, the VFW will have karaoke and a meal of fish, fries, tea and coffee.
* From 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday, a dance with the band Manitou will be held. Discounted price for VFW members.
For more information, call 334-2552.
Women's History Month reception scheduled
A celebration honoring "Women's History Month" and the outstanding achievements of women will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday at VFW Post 383, Taylor Room, 1049 N. Kingshighway. Those attending can learn about various community service agencies, volunteer opportunities and upcoming women's initiatives. In lieu of an admission fee, guests are asked to bring toiletry items to be donated to First Call for Help. For more information, call Debra Mitchell-Braxton at (573) 979-0213.
Number offers help for tornado damage relief
Due to overwhelming need for assistance following the recent tornadoes, a donation hot line, (866) 254-0140, has been established to coordinate and distribute unsolicited and undesignated donated goods, time or money in Missouri. According to the State Emergency Management Agency, the hot line is open between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. The donations number also provides information and referrals for disaster survivors needing assistance.
Jackson High School alumni meeting planned
The Jackson High School alumni reunion of 2006 meeting is set for 1:30 p.m. Monday in the basement of the First Presbyterian Church, 206 E. Washington St. The purpose is to select the date and location of the JHS alumni reunion of 2006. This is an invitation to all JHS classes back to the class of 1949. This may be the last reunion that includes all classes through 1949.
McTeacher's Night to support school district
Schools and McDonald's restaurants throughout the state will bolster education budgets from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday on McTeacher's Night. The Jackson restaurant will donate proceeds from evening sales during that time frame to Jackson School District Foundation. Attendance competitions between grades and classes will be held.
-- From staff reports