- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Augusta, Ga. -- Mrs. Bertha Powell McGowan entered into rest Saturday, March 11, 2006. She was the beloved wife of the late Joseph L. McGowan for 62 years.
Funeral services will be held on Tuesday, March 14, 2006, at Platt's Crawford Avenue Chapel at 11:00 am with Elder Max Hicks officiating. Burial will follow in Hillcrest Memorial Park.
A native of Johnson County, Wrightsville, Ga., Mrs. McGowan was born on April 15, 1904, and was the daughter of Sampson and Leah Greenway Powell. A wonderful homemaker, devoted and loving wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. She was an inspiration to everyone that knew her. Mrs. McGowan was a charter member of the First Primitive Baptist Church.
Survivors include four sons; Carl McGowan of Augusta, Bill McGowan (Linda) of Augusta, Joseph L McGowan (Jeanie) of Savannah, Ga., and Leon McGowan of Atanta, Ga., three daughters; Elease M. Morgan (Dan), Martha M. Tudor all of Augusta, and Catherine M. Rueseler of Cape Girardeau, Mo.; nineteen grandchildren, Jane M. Roupe (Charlie), Martha Anne T. Schwartz (Meyer), Bill McGowan Jr. (Carolina) all of Augusta, Glenn Morgan (Amy), Vicki Overstreet (Jim) all of Birmingham, Ala., John Rueseler of Houston, Texas, Ross Tudor (Judy) of McLean, Va., Cathy R. Lowes of Jackson, Mo., Rob Rueseler (Janet) of Cape Girardeau, Joseph McGowan III (Cathy) of Lake Forest, Ill., John McGowan (Nikki) St. Charles, Ill., Laure M. Miller (Jim) Littleton, Colo., Phillip McGowan of Atlanta, Brian McGowan (Laura) of Atlanta, Leah M. Duval (Rick) of Atlanta, Elizabeth M. Ronzo (Joe) of Lecanto, Fla., Tara M. Colclough (Matt) of Columbia, S.C., Kell M. Zuckerman (Adam) of Atlanta, and Amy M. Robinson (Todd) of Rincon, Ga., Twenty-nine great grandchildren, 4 great great grandchildren, two sisters; Mary P. Mills of Carlton, Ga., and Linnie P. Lynn (Robert) Americus, Ga., 11 loving nieces and nephews and a special caregiver, Karen Ray.
Pallbearers will be Mrs. McGowan's grandsons.
If so desired, memorials may be made to First Primitive Baptist Church, 2020 Highland Ave, Augusta, Ga., 30904, Bertha P. McGowan Foundation, Augusta State University, 2500 Walton Way, Augusta, Ga., 30904 or a charity of your choice.
The family will receive friends at the funeral home on Monday, March 13, 2006, from 5 pm until 7 pm.