- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Two children killed, injured father a suspect
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A 5-year-old boy and his 8-year-old sister were found shot to death in their burning home, and police charged their father with the slayings.
The father was found a couple of miles from the house with critical injuries on Saturday, police Sgt. Lisa Mangum said. She would not describe his injuries.
The case is the third in less than two months in which a Charlotte-area parent has been charged with killing two children. Shaken and tearful, Olga Miranda picked through the debris of their home in northeast Charlotte and declined to talk about her husband, Gilberto Miranda Cuellar.
A friend who helped her put a few belongings in a bag said Gilberto Miranda had a history of menacing behavior toward his family, including threatening to kill himself.
Isaide Serrano said the man called her late Friday and told her to take care of his wife. A short time later, Olga Miranda telephoned from her job and said something was wrong at home.
In January, a mother was charged with killing her 8-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son and setting their Midland home on fire. Banking executive David Crespi was also charged with first-degree murder in the Jan. 20 stabbing deaths of his 5-year-old twin daughters in their Charlotte home.