- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)5
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)23
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
Southerners demand attention
To the editor:
Here is what I have told House Speaker Rod Jetton, state Sen. Jason Crowell, numerous Republicans as well as the whole Democratic Party: Make room once again for Southerners.
Ronald Reagan won them over because the Democrats were no longer conservative, and they felt their heritage would be safe in the hands of the Republicans. It was Southern Democrats who gave Republicans their victories.
The Democrats held Missouri since Reconstruction until the 2004 election when Gov. Bob Holden removed the Confederate flags from Higginsville and Pilot Knob. Republicans have hinted that they will restore them. They have not. What's the holdup? One governor took them down. One governor can put them back up.
Republicans have turned into liberal neoconservatives and have created a police state by enacting the Patriot Act, which is eerily similar to the 1933 Enabling Act that gave Adolf Hitler his dictatorial powers. Just like the Nazis, Republicans tell us it is necessary for our protection.
Meanwhile, our Southern border is unprotected, and our seaports are being sold to Arab countries.
Neocon talk-show hosts degrade Southern heritage on a daily basis now.
In short, we are sick of this treatment. Return the flags. Return our freedom. This advice is free, but some Republicans would charge up to $30,000 for it.
CLINT E. LACY, Marble Hill, Mo.