- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
- Neal Boyd blessed us all with his God-given talent (6/19/18)
United Way success is combined effort
To the editor:
Now that the 2005 United Way campaign is officially complete, I would like to congratulate the staff of the United Way of Southeast Missouri, the many volunteers who assisted in this program and the many donors who made this campaign such an overwhelming success.
At a time when many organizations were struggling with fund-raising campaigns due to natural disasters in other parts of our country, once again the people of Cape Girardeau, Jackson, Scott City, Marble Hill, Perryville and the surrounding area have shown their true colors. Our communities are generous not just through dollars, but also through the gift of time, without which many of the programs and initiatives funded by United Way would not come about.
For the willingness to foster an environment in which employees feel good about their company's contributions right along with their own, we are especially grateful. Corporate donations and the opportunity to run employee campaigns continue to provide a huge boost to our success.
I would also like to thank the news media for the role they play. Without the generosity of the newspaper, television and radio support, our message and mission would never reach the number of people necessary to conduct this successful campaign.
To everyone who supports United Way, rest assured that efforts are under way to distribute the dollars you have so generously provided. Feel good about your part. Those whom you have helped certainly do.
KATHY BERTRAND, 2005 Campaign Chairman, United Way of Southeast Missouri, Cape Girardeau