- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)4
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
United Way success is combined effort
To the editor:
Now that the 2005 United Way campaign is officially complete, I would like to congratulate the staff of the United Way of Southeast Missouri, the many volunteers who assisted in this program and the many donors who made this campaign such an overwhelming success.
At a time when many organizations were struggling with fund-raising campaigns due to natural disasters in other parts of our country, once again the people of Cape Girardeau, Jackson, Scott City, Marble Hill, Perryville and the surrounding area have shown their true colors. Our communities are generous not just through dollars, but also through the gift of time, without which many of the programs and initiatives funded by United Way would not come about.
For the willingness to foster an environment in which employees feel good about their company's contributions right along with their own, we are especially grateful. Corporate donations and the opportunity to run employee campaigns continue to provide a huge boost to our success.
I would also like to thank the news media for the role they play. Without the generosity of the newspaper, television and radio support, our message and mission would never reach the number of people necessary to conduct this successful campaign.
To everyone who supports United Way, rest assured that efforts are under way to distribute the dollars you have so generously provided. Feel good about your part. Those whom you have helped certainly do.
KATHY BERTRAND, 2005 Campaign Chairman, United Way of Southeast Missouri, Cape Girardeau