- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)36
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Learning briefs 2/28/06
Robin Phelps receives leadership award
Robin Phelps of Cape Girardeau has received a Leadership Award to attend Central Missouri State University for the 2006-2007 school year.
A senior at Notre Dame Regional High School, she is the daughter of David and Janice Phelps.
Tenholder achieves dean's list ranking
Amber Tenholder of Jackson was named to the Dean's List at St. Louis University for the 2005 fall semester.
Jackson South Elem. Honor Rolls
The fifth-grade honor roll was inadvertently left out of Jackson's South Elementary honor roll.
A Honor Roll
5th grade -- Montana Adams, Madison Beussink, Russell Couey, Mollie Crader, Kaitlyn Crites, Kelly Dunlap, Nicole Glastetter, Gage Hahs, Logan Harris, Lizzie Hosler, Thomas Jackson, Jordan Jeffers, Katelyn Kuppart, Chelsea Lane, Paxton Lemmons, Conrad Masterson, Gentry Matthews, Devin Plassman, Alex Rhodes, Mady Scheper, Patricia Sirgo, Alex Sotak, Jason Welker, Mary Beth Wright.
B Honor Roll
5th grade -- Brock Austin, Bryce Bingham, Daniel Bowers, Brittany Burnell, Zach Crader, Keylee Eaves, Taylor Ferrell, Chase Hogue, Billy Hutson, Blake Kingree, Jacie McCullough, Ashley Miles, Trey Moss, Levi Murphy, Crystal Musgrave, Joshua Nispel, Justin Pinkerton, Courtney Pratt, Joe Rappa, Lacie Robinson, Jared Roth, Jackson Rushin, Brianna Sell, Emilee Smith, Nick Smith, Lex Spencer, Jesse Steele, Aimee Stockard, Paden Wachter, Chandler Wendel, Megan Williams, Jaymar Wiseman, Matt Zeller.
Local students win MathCounts contest
SIKESTON, Mo. -- Seven of the top ten winners at the Sikeston MathCounts regional math contest were from either Central Junior High School or St. Vincent de Paul Elementary school in Cape Girardeau. Students from around the region competed. First place went to Sikeston, which was the host school. In team competition, Central Junior High School was first and St. Vincent de Paul was second. MathCounts is a national competitive math event sponsored by the Professional Engineers' Society and the Missouri Council of Teachers of Mathematics. The top 10 individual winners will advance to the state round in Rolla, Mo., on March 25.
-- From staff reports