- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Learning briefs 2/28/06
Robin Phelps receives leadership award
Robin Phelps of Cape Girardeau has received a Leadership Award to attend Central Missouri State University for the 2006-2007 school year.
A senior at Notre Dame Regional High School, she is the daughter of David and Janice Phelps.
Tenholder achieves dean's list ranking
Amber Tenholder of Jackson was named to the Dean's List at St. Louis University for the 2005 fall semester.
Jackson South Elem. Honor Rolls
The fifth-grade honor roll was inadvertently left out of Jackson's South Elementary honor roll.
A Honor Roll
5th grade -- Montana Adams, Madison Beussink, Russell Couey, Mollie Crader, Kaitlyn Crites, Kelly Dunlap, Nicole Glastetter, Gage Hahs, Logan Harris, Lizzie Hosler, Thomas Jackson, Jordan Jeffers, Katelyn Kuppart, Chelsea Lane, Paxton Lemmons, Conrad Masterson, Gentry Matthews, Devin Plassman, Alex Rhodes, Mady Scheper, Patricia Sirgo, Alex Sotak, Jason Welker, Mary Beth Wright.
B Honor Roll
5th grade -- Brock Austin, Bryce Bingham, Daniel Bowers, Brittany Burnell, Zach Crader, Keylee Eaves, Taylor Ferrell, Chase Hogue, Billy Hutson, Blake Kingree, Jacie McCullough, Ashley Miles, Trey Moss, Levi Murphy, Crystal Musgrave, Joshua Nispel, Justin Pinkerton, Courtney Pratt, Joe Rappa, Lacie Robinson, Jared Roth, Jackson Rushin, Brianna Sell, Emilee Smith, Nick Smith, Lex Spencer, Jesse Steele, Aimee Stockard, Paden Wachter, Chandler Wendel, Megan Williams, Jaymar Wiseman, Matt Zeller.
Local students win MathCounts contest
SIKESTON, Mo. -- Seven of the top ten winners at the Sikeston MathCounts regional math contest were from either Central Junior High School or St. Vincent de Paul Elementary school in Cape Girardeau. Students from around the region competed. First place went to Sikeston, which was the host school. In team competition, Central Junior High School was first and St. Vincent de Paul was second. MathCounts is a national competitive math event sponsored by the Professional Engineers' Society and the Missouri Council of Teachers of Mathematics. The top 10 individual winners will advance to the state round in Rolla, Mo., on March 25.
-- From staff reports