- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Religion briefs 2/25/06
World prayer day events planned at two churches
Two local churches are holding special events for the 2006 World Day of Prayer March 3. Church Women United of Cape Girardeau will hold a special service at 9 a.m. Friday at Evangelical United Church of Christ, 32 S. Ellis St. For more information, call the church at 335-5611. A special service will begin at 1:30 p.m. Friday at First General Baptist Church in Jackson. The event's theme is "Signs of the Times" and is sponsored by Church Women United. World Day of Prayer was founded in 1941 and reaches 25 million Christian women from all denominations. This year's program was written by the Women of South Africa and unites women and men in 170 countries and regions around the world in prayer and worship. A freewill offering for the support of the work of World Day of Prayer and HIV /AIDS ministries in South Africa and the United States will be taken. For more information, call Mary Robinson at 243-6512 or Rita Kidd at 243-4239.
Kentucky pastor to speak about salvation
Pastor Don Fortner with Grace Baptist Church in Danville, Ky., will speak at 7 p.m. Friday and March 4 and at 10 a.m. March 5 at Sovereign Grace Church in Jackson. Food will be served after the service. Danville will discuss "the sovereign grace of God in the salvation of his people."
Basement sale set at Grace UMC March 4
The annual Grace United Methodist Church basement sale will be March 4 from 7 to 11 a.m. A variety of household, clothing and other items will be available. Proceeds will be used in mission. Grace is at the corner of Broadway and Caruthers Avenue.
Cumberland Quartet to play in Scott City
The Cumberland Quartet of Branson, Mo., will perform at First Assembly of God in Scott City at 6 p.m. March 5. The concert is free.
Revival set at Jackson Church of the Nazarene
Jackson Church of the Nazarene will hold a revival with Pat and Donna Burkhalter Wednesday at 4 at 7 p.m. and March 5 at 10:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. The church is 2245 Old Toll Road in Jackson. Call 243-0973 for more information.
Fish fry planned at Scott City First Assembly
The Scott City First Assembly of God Church will hold a fish fry from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at 312 Dearborn. The event will take place each Friday through Lent. For more information, call 264-2365.
-- From staff reports