- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Nation briefs 2/24/06
Mob indictment charges 32 with racketeering
NEW YORK -- A federal indictment unsealed Thursday charges 32 people with racketeering crimes, including people described as the acting boss, members and associates of the Genovese organized crime family. The 42-count indictment says the defendants engaged in crimes for more than a decade. Those crimes include murder, violent extortion of individuals and businesses, labor racketeering, obstruction of justice, narcotics trafficking, money laundering and firearms trafficking.
Teenager shoots student at Oregon high school
ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A teenager shot and critically wounded a 16-year-old student at school Thursday, then fled to a diner, where he put the gun to his head before surrendering, police said. Police spokesman Sgt. Aaron Dunbar said the shooter appeared to be a student. He was arrested shortly after the attack at Roseburg High School. The victim, whose identity has not been released, was hit three times in the torso and once in the elbow, said Vic Fresolone, CEO of Roseburg's Mercy Hospital. He "is doing very well, better than can be expected considering the bullet wounds," Fresolone said.
Arab company agrees to delay U.S. ports takeover
WASHINGTON -- A United Arab Emirates company offered Thursday to delay part of its $6.8 billion takeover of most operations at six U.S. ports to give the Bush administration more time to convince skeptical lawmakers the deal poses no security risks. The surprise announcement relieves some pressure from a standoff between President Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress, which has threatened to block the deal because of the UAE's purported ties to terrorism. Under the offer coordinated with the White House, Dubai Ports World said it will agree not to exercise control or influence the management over U.S. ports pending further talks with the Bush administration and Congress.
-- From wire reports