- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Police: Chaffee woman's rape report suspicious
A reported rape of a woman on Cape Girardeau's south side may be unfounded, police said Thursday.
A 21-year-old Chaffee woman reported she was raped and robbed of cash at knifepoint around 5 a.m. Wednesday near State Highway 74 and Ellis Street.
But police were suspicious of the woman's story, and she later admitted to investigators that there was no knife involved and she knew the man, police spokesman Jason Selzer said.
"We don't have that many incidents where a stranger jumps out of a bush and rapes someone," he said.
The woman admitted to officers that the man had told the woman to give him money and sex, and she had complied.
Police were continuing their investigation, and charges of filing a false police report may be pursued, Selzer said.