- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Health briefs/calendar 2/23/06
Seminar scheduled on caring for critically ill patients
"Clinical and Ethical Issues: Care of People with Life-Limiting Illnesses -- a Case-Based Approach" will be a workshop sponsored by the Missouri League for Nursing for health-care professionals across Missouri. Locally, the seminar will be given March 2 at Mineral Area College in Park Hills, Mo. The purpose of the workshop is to provide health-care professionals with the foundation to improve the quality of care of people affected by life-affecting illnesses. Presenters will be Clay Anderson, assistant professor of medicine at the University of Missouri-Columbia, Ellis Fischel Cancer Center; Mary Cunningham, oncology clinical nurse specialist and coordinator of pain and palliative care services at Ellis Fischel Cancer Center; and Lori Ladd, medical liaison for Purdue Pharma, L.P. For more information about the seminar and the number of contact hours approved for it, call the Missouri League for Nursing at (573) 635-5355 or go online at www.monursing.org.
Annual Heart Smart poster contest award ceremony slated
Awards for the winning entries in the 16th annual poster contest for children ages 4 to 14 will be presented at 2 p.m. Saturday at HealthPoint Plaza. Sponsored by Southeast Missouri Hospital's Regional Heart Center, the contest encourages children to illustrate ways all ages can take care of their hearts. Also invited to this ceremony are families and friends of the award winners as well as the general public. Winning posters will be displayed for several weeks at HealthPoint Plaza and Main Street Fitness Center in Jackson, at the hospital and on Southeast's Web site.
"Ask Your Doctor", 8 to 9 p.m., cable Channel 5. Local health-care experts discuss medical subjects and welcome phone-in questions from viewers at 334-3095. This week's guest speaker is neurologist Dr. Tony Knox.
Grief Support group, 7 to 9 p.m., conference room A, Saint Francis Education Center. For more information, call 651-4617.
Newborn massage: learn the techniques, 10-11 a.m., Generations Family Resource Center at Southeast Missouri Hospital. To register, call 651-5825.
Depressive Bipolar Support Alliance, 7 to 9 p.m., Assisi conference room at Saint Francis Medical Center. For information, call 331-5107.
Parkinson's Support Group 6:30 to 8 p.m., Franciscan conference room at Saint Francis Medical Center. For information, call 331-5871 and leave a message.
Tai Chi and Aqua Trim classes begin today at HealthPoint Plaza. For details and information about days and times, or to register, call 986-4400.
-- From staff reports