- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
New Salem Baptist girls capture second straight MCSAA 2A title
The Eagles finished an 18-3 season by beating Training Center 39-27 in the championship game in Joplin, Mo.
JOPLIN, Mo. -- New Salem Baptist Academy of Marble Hill brought home its second straight girls basketball state championship with a 39-27 victory over Training Center at the Missouri Christian Schools Athletic Association Class 2A tournament Saturday.
The Eagles finished their season 18-3.
New Salem led 16-12 at halftime and clung to a 22-16 lead heading into the fourth quarter. The second-seeded Eagles outscored No. 5 Training Center 17-11 in the final period to pull out the win.
Sarah Green, a junior who two years ago was unable to convert on free throws in a tight title game loss, hit eight of 10 in the fourth period Saturday. She finished the game 10-for-14 from the line and scored a team-high 16 points to go with six assists and four rebounds.
Celsey Barlow added eight points and eight rebounds for the Eagles.
Green and sophomore Laura Poole were each named to the all-state team.
New Salem Baptist 39, Training Center 27
TRAINING CENTER (27) -- Chris Bauman 4, Sarah Bates 3, Paige Woerner 2, Ashley Woerner 5, Jessica Johnston 12, Alex Fisher 1. FG 12, FT 3-6, F 16 (3-pointers: none. Fouled out: none)
NEW SALEM (39) -- Sarah Green 16, Kelsey Cook 6, Celsey Barlow 8, Laura Poole 7, Hope McDonough 2. FG 12, FT 15-19, F 12 (3-pointers: none. Fouled out: none)
BOYS BASKETBALL Liberty 49, New Salem Baptist 43
New Salem Baptist fell in the consolation finals of the Missouri Christian Schools Athletic Association Class 2A state tournament.
Tyler Keys led the Eagles (19-7) with 16 points and Trent Jones had 10.
Fifth-seeded New Salem trailed 22-20 at halftime, and remained down two heading into the fourth quarter before No. 4 Liberty was able to pull out the win.
Jeremy Rockhill was named second-team all-state.
NEW SALEM (43) -- Tyler Keys 16, Trent Jones 10, Jeremy Rockhill 6, Josiah Davault 6, Brent Jones 5. FG 19, FT 2-6, F 10 (3-pointers: none. Fouled out: none)
LIBERTY (49) -- Goodfellow 15, Kelly 14, Meyer 3, Nestel 6, Spoede 6, Telfer 4. FG 17, FT 6-13, F 12 (3-pointers: Kelly 2, Spoede 2. Fouled out: none)