- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- 'All Nite Skate' filming in Jackson this weekend (6/8/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Let the residents of Cape submit slogans, logos
To the editor:
I recently read the local tourist bureau is spending $40,000 to devise a new slogan and logo to be used for promoting visitors.
Coming up with a promotional gimmick is not a bad idea. Spending $40,000 is.
My suggestion is the city and the Southeast Missourian should sponsor a contest for Cape Girardeau residents to come up with an idea or artwork for a city identity.
Nobody is more familiar with Cape's assets than its citizens.
The contest should be promoted to everyone. In particular, the effort should be promoted among schoolchildren and their teachers.
A prize should be offered plus a plaque inscribed with the logo indicating the recipient was responsible for the design.
The more likely submissions could be displayed on the newspaper's Web site, and readers could vote.
Ultimately, the decision should be left up to a committee from your editorial staff, the city and the tourist bureau managers.
My submission is below.