- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)14
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Let the residents of Cape submit slogans, logos
To the editor:
I recently read the local tourist bureau is spending $40,000 to devise a new slogan and logo to be used for promoting visitors.
Coming up with a promotional gimmick is not a bad idea. Spending $40,000 is.
My suggestion is the city and the Southeast Missourian should sponsor a contest for Cape Girardeau residents to come up with an idea or artwork for a city identity.
Nobody is more familiar with Cape's assets than its citizens.
The contest should be promoted to everyone. In particular, the effort should be promoted among schoolchildren and their teachers.
A prize should be offered plus a plaque inscribed with the logo indicating the recipient was responsible for the design.
The more likely submissions could be displayed on the newspaper's Web site, and readers could vote.
Ultimately, the decision should be left up to a committee from your editorial staff, the city and the tourist bureau managers.
My submission is below.