- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)8
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)2
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
- Cape police warn of 'Grandparent Scam' (12/4/16)
Use local PR, marketing folks for city tourism
To the editor:
Before hiring professional consultants on how to market Cape Girardeau, I believe the Convention and Visitors Bureau director could reach out to some of the professionals in public relations and marketing in town first as a preliminary step.
There are PR and marketing folks at the university. Some upper-class PR and marketing students could help with this venture by doing a lot of the leg work.
When I was in school, we had real clients. We had a promotion plan which addressed costs, publicity, surveys, how it was measured, target markets and the competition.
Local talent could be used only as a first step - then do the consultant thing.
VANCE S. PAWIELSKI