- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
- Jackson elementary students try to help others with 'kindness boxes' (11/6/17)1
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Chantelle Becking strives to make a difference through her family and community (11/10/17)
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- Cape County boy writes letter, hears from President Donald Trump (11/10/17)
- Medical marijuana may go to voters for decision (11/8/17)4
- Fourth-grade teacher Andrea Cox teaches students how to code, adapt to new technology (11/10/17)
Use local PR, marketing folks for city tourism
To the editor:
Before hiring professional consultants on how to market Cape Girardeau, I believe the Convention and Visitors Bureau director could reach out to some of the professionals in public relations and marketing in town first as a preliminary step.
There are PR and marketing folks at the university. Some upper-class PR and marketing students could help with this venture by doing a lot of the leg work.
When I was in school, we had real clients. We had a promotion plan which addressed costs, publicity, surveys, how it was measured, target markets and the competition.
Local talent could be used only as a first step - then do the consultant thing.
VANCE S. PAWIELSKI