- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)5
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Out of the past 2/14/06
25 years ago: Feb. 14, 1981
CARUTHERSVILLE, Mo. -- Former Iranian hostage Marine Sgt. Michael E. Moeller has never lived in Caruthersville, but when the U.S. Embassy in Tehran was seized in November 1979, Moeller became regarded by this town's residents as one of their own; today, townspeople honor Moeller and welcome him home following 444 days of captivity.
NEW MADRID, Mo. -- Farmers begin gathering in New Madrid to help back up farmer Wayne Cryts' threat to take his grain out of a bankrupt elevator guarded by federal marshals; in St. Louis, the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday ordered the marshals not to relinquish the grain.
50 years ago: Feb. 14, 1956
The Cape Girardeau sub-office of the St. Louis District Engineers office is advised that the contract for construction of the first phase of the Main Street levee program was formally awarded Friday to Edgar Stephens Construction Co. of Cairo, Ill.; the firm's low bid was $488,306.90.
Wind-whipped rain, lashing out of a cold front that moves over Cape Girardeau in the evening, packs a damaging punch to a number of roofs, floods streets, stalls traffic and pours water into various buildings.
75 years ago: Feb. 14, 1931
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- The Home Trust Co. of Perryville is closed by its board of directors pending an investigation into its accounts by the state finance department; the department was asked to take charge of the bank after an examination of the books of a former employee proved unsatisfactory to the board.
Remodeling of a brick dwelling at 9 N. Benton St. in Cape Girardeau, owned by Frank Batchelor, has begun; the one-story structure will be made into a two-story apartment building.
100 years ago: Feb. 14, 1906
Recently, many property owners in Cape Girardeau County have been summoned to appear in the circuit court of New Madrid, Mo., on March 19, when the matter of establishing the Little River Drainage District will be dealt with; those who have been summoned own land in the proposed district, which will extend from Rock Levee, just below Cape Girardeau, 90 miles south to Big Lake, Ark..
The Diamond Cafe on Main Street in Cape Girardeau is again under new management; August Flentge and Chris Betten sell the place to Mrs. George McLain, and she and her husband will operate the restaurant.
-- Sharon K. Sanders