- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
CAIRO, Ill. -- Frances Barkett Elias, 84, of Cairo passed away peacefully on the morning of Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006.
She was born May 6, 1921, to parents James S. and Phoebe Lewis Barkett. She and Fred S. Elias were married June 20, 1948. He passed away April 15, 1970.
They were owners in Elias Family Center Inc., with Sam and Martha Elias, and Henry and Lorraine Elias. Frances worked and was a vital part of that business until her retirement in 1998.
She graduated from Cairo High School in 1939. She worked for her Aunt Lena Lewis at Lewis Dry Goods.
Her love of golf was only surpassed by her love for her family and friends. She was a member of Southern Seven Foundation, Cairo Junior Women's League and the Women's Golf Association of Egyptian Country Club, where she won many tournaments and got a hole in one. She was a long-standing member of Mighty Rivers Regional Worship Center in Cairo.
Survivors include a daughter, Patricia Elias Blevins and husband Robert, and their sons, Bobby Blevins of Brentwood, Tenn., Rod Blevins of Atlanta, Ga., Kyle Blevins and wife Cindi and children Brooke and Alec Blevins of Kansas City, Mo.; a son, Fred S. Elias Jr. and wife Tammy and their children Chip Elias of Cape Girardeau, Emily Elias of St. Louis; a sister, Lorraine Maddox; several cousins, nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents, husband and two brothers, Soddie Barkett and Phillip Barkett.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Mighty Rivers Regional Worship Center, with Dr. Larry L. Potts officiating. Interment will be in Beechwood Cemetery at Mounds, Ill.
At the request of the family, expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions in memory of Mrs. Elias to Mighty Rivers Regional Worship Center, Tenth and Poplar Streets, Cairo, Ill., 62914.