- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
- Jackson elementary students try to help others with 'kindness boxes' (11/6/17)1
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Chantelle Becking strives to make a difference through her family and community (11/10/17)
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- Cape County boy writes letter, hears from President Donald Trump (11/10/17)
- Medical marijuana may go to voters for decision (11/8/17)4
- Fourth-grade teacher Andrea Cox teaches students how to code, adapt to new technology (11/10/17)
Jetton takes it out on SEMO students
To the editor:
For several months I've been spammed by state Rep. Rod Jetton's pontificating e-mails talking about family values. But when someone challenges his bureaucratic power, he takes it out on the hard-working students of Southeast Missouri State University by cutting funding. So much for family values.
As a Democrat from the city who enjoys his trips to your part of the state, it amazes me that the red counties continue to vote Republican in spite of actions like these by the Republican leadership. Yes, I know some of my party members support issues like gay marriage, but does even the most conservative family in Cape Girardeau care whether two guys in St. Louis's West End get married while people like Jetton are making it tougher to get a good education in a public university?
NORMAN PRESSMAN, St. Louis