- Fake UFC event listing stirs the pot at local Golden Corral (2/10/18)3
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Area restaurants plan for those observing Lent on Valentine's Day (2/12/18)
- Business Notebook: Marco Construction Products offers high-end contractor equipment with personalized service (2/12/18)
Jetton takes it out on SEMO students
To the editor:
For several months I've been spammed by state Rep. Rod Jetton's pontificating e-mails talking about family values. But when someone challenges his bureaucratic power, he takes it out on the hard-working students of Southeast Missouri State University by cutting funding. So much for family values.
As a Democrat from the city who enjoys his trips to your part of the state, it amazes me that the red counties continue to vote Republican in spite of actions like these by the Republican leadership. Yes, I know some of my party members support issues like gay marriage, but does even the most conservative family in Cape Girardeau care whether two guys in St. Louis's West End get married while people like Jetton are making it tougher to get a good education in a public university?
NORMAN PRESSMAN, St. Louis