- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)34
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Jetton takes it out on SEMO students
To the editor:
For several months I've been spammed by state Rep. Rod Jetton's pontificating e-mails talking about family values. But when someone challenges his bureaucratic power, he takes it out on the hard-working students of Southeast Missouri State University by cutting funding. So much for family values.
As a Democrat from the city who enjoys his trips to your part of the state, it amazes me that the red counties continue to vote Republican in spite of actions like these by the Republican leadership. Yes, I know some of my party members support issues like gay marriage, but does even the most conservative family in Cape Girardeau care whether two guys in St. Louis's West End get married while people like Jetton are making it tougher to get a good education in a public university?
NORMAN PRESSMAN, St. Louis