- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Jetton takes it out on SEMO students
To the editor:
For several months I've been spammed by state Rep. Rod Jetton's pontificating e-mails talking about family values. But when someone challenges his bureaucratic power, he takes it out on the hard-working students of Southeast Missouri State University by cutting funding. So much for family values.
As a Democrat from the city who enjoys his trips to your part of the state, it amazes me that the red counties continue to vote Republican in spite of actions like these by the Republican leadership. Yes, I know some of my party members support issues like gay marriage, but does even the most conservative family in Cape Girardeau care whether two guys in St. Louis's West End get married while people like Jetton are making it tougher to get a good education in a public university?
NORMAN PRESSMAN, St. Louis