- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
Jetton takes it out on SEMO students
To the editor:
For several months I've been spammed by state Rep. Rod Jetton's pontificating e-mails talking about family values. But when someone challenges his bureaucratic power, he takes it out on the hard-working students of Southeast Missouri State University by cutting funding. So much for family values.
As a Democrat from the city who enjoys his trips to your part of the state, it amazes me that the red counties continue to vote Republican in spite of actions like these by the Republican leadership. Yes, I know some of my party members support issues like gay marriage, but does even the most conservative family in Cape Girardeau care whether two guys in St. Louis's West End get married while people like Jetton are making it tougher to get a good education in a public university?
NORMAN PRESSMAN, St. Louis