- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)1
Texas woman accused of cutting off baby's arms pleads not guilty
McKINNEY, Texas -- A woman accused of killing her 10-month-old daughter by cutting off the baby's arms with a kitchen knife went on trial Monday after pleading not guilty by reason of insanity.
Police found Dena Schlosser, 37, covered in blood in her kitchen, still holding a knife and listening to a church hymn.
During opening statements, her attorney said Schlosser clearly did not know right from wrong during the November 2004 slaying of baby Margaret.
"This is somebody who at the time was not capable of knowing what she was doing was wrong," defense attorney William Schultz said. "She didn't see it coming. ... Normally Dena is a sweet woman. She cares, she has compassion."
Prosecutor Curtis Howard disagreed, saying that while Schlosser obviously had mental problems, she did know right from wrong when she killed her daughter.