- Business Notebook: Millersville Pit Stop opening Friday; newly rebuilt convenience store to feature favorites (7/16/18)
- Dexter Bar-B-Que in Jackson moving location (7/12/18)1
- Car packages: Local stores adding pickup services as part of nationwide trend (7/14/18)1
- Voters to choose from crowded field for Scott County presiding commissioner (7/10/18)1
- Mary Jane bourbon + smokehouse + Cape (7/9/18)4
- Developer: Construction moving into new phases on Marriott (7/12/18)1
- New safety measures being put in place in Jackson School District (7/11/18)3
- Harbor Freight to open next week in Cape Girardeau (7/10/18)
- Relentless flood swamped towns, turned roads into lakes 25 years ago this summer (7/16/18)
- Former police officer, disabled vet vie for state representative seat (7/11/18)2
OVC investigating possible violations in women's program
The Southeast Missouri State women's basketball team will be the subject of an investigation initiated by the Ohio Valley Conference at the university's request.
The university and the conference both released statements about the impending investigation Friday.
Southeast's statement said the university "has received information about potential violations of NCAA violations in its women's basketball program."
The statement said Dr. Ken Dobbins, the university president, requested the OVC to investigate.
Southeast pledged cooperation in its statement. It did not reveal the length nor the nature of the investigation.
Both statements said the NCAA had been notified and that it will receive a report when the investigation is completed.
The university said it will not release any further information until the OVC has completed its inquiry and released the results.
Southeast women's basketball coach B.J. Smith said, "I've been told to forward all questions to Don Kaverman."
Kaverman, the Southeast Missouri State athletic director, could not be reached for comment.
Conference commissioner Dr. Jon A. Steinbrecher released a statement to the Southeast Missourian on Friday that said at the request of the university, "I have initiated an investigation into possible violations of NCAA regulations in the women's basketball program at Southeast Missouri."