- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
OLMSTED, Ill. -- Joseph Hunter Beard, 93, died Sunday, July 6, 2003, at the Charleston Manor Nursing Home in Charleston, Mo.
He was born Feb. 4, 1910, in Columbus, Miss., the son of Leroy and Caroline Moore Beard. He married Dorothy Key on Nov. 20, 1960. She survives.
He was a carpenter and a veteran of World War II. He was a member and assistant pastor of the Pryor Memorial Church of God in Christ in Villa Ridge, Ill.
He also is survived by two sons, Lawrence Beard of Grand Rapids, Mich., and Joe Edward Beard of Chicago, Ill.; a daughter, Dorothy M. Jones of Olmsted; and many grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, two sons, three brothers and four sisters.
Visitation will be from 2 p.m. Sunday until the funeral hour at Bethel Temple Church of God in Christ in Mounds, Ill.
Services will be at 3 p.m. Sunday at the church with elder Oscar L. Burtley Sr. and elder Carl J. Whitaker officiating.
Burial will be Monday at the National Cemetery at Mound City, Ill.
Algee's Funeral Home in Carbondale, Ill., is in charge of arrangements.