- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)2
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- Southerner by Tractors owners seek to bring 'sophisticated Southern' cuisine (9/12/17)
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)1
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Preval on track to be Haiti's next president, initial vote results show
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- Rene Preval, a former president seen as a champion of the poor, appeared headed toward victory Thursday as the first partial returns put him in the lead in Haiti's presidential election.
Preval won 61.5 percent of 282,327 valid votes counted so far, Haiti's electoral council said. It refused to say what percentage of the total votes cast these figures represented. According to the United Nations, a majority of Haiti's 3.5 million eligible voters cast ballots.
The announcement reinforced earlier comments before the release of the election's first results, with a campaign official said Preval had won almost 68 percent of the votes that had been counted so far.