- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Learning briefs 2/7/06
Students win essay, poster contests
Brooke Moll, Kyle Brewer and Shelby Steinbecker, all of St. Vincent Elementary School in Perryville, Mo., were winners in the 2005 Western Catholic Union Christmas Poster and Essay Contest. Moll, a third-grader, and Brewer, a second-grader, won first and second place, respectively, in the poster contest for kindergarten through third-grade students. Steinbecker, a fifth-grader, won first place in the poster contest for students in fourth through sixth grades.
Local students receive college scholarships
* Southeast Missouri State University students Jill Bryant and Krystal Hexamer, both of Cape Girardeau, and Samantha Wages of New Madrid,. Mo., were awarded scholarships by the Chateau Girardeau Foundation. The students work at the Chateau Girardeau retirement center.
* Chelsea Sellers, Christopher Eddleman, Michael McBride, Jessie Vavak, Hannah Stepenoff and Lauren Loftis, all of Cape Girardeau; Stacey Thompson of Gordonville and Kendall Koch of Chaffee, Mo., have been awarded Regents' scholarships to attend Southeast Missouri State University for the 2006-2007 academic year.
Sellers, McBride, Stepenoff and Loftis attend Cape Girardeau Central High School.
Eddleman and Vavak attend Notre Dame Regional High School.
Koch, the son of Robert and Jamie Koch, attends Chaffee High School.
Thompson, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cliff Thompson, has been homeschooled.
Sellers is the daughter of Bill and Tammy Sellers; Eddleman is the son of William and Hope Eddleman; McBride is the son of Lynn and Mary McBride; Vavak is the daughter of Johnny and Lori Vavak, and Stepenoff is the daughter of Jerald and Bonita Stepenoff, all of Cape Girardeau. Loftis is the daughter of Lana Andrews of Cape Girardeau and Randall Loftis of Fort Worth, Texas.
* Robin Phelps of Cape Girardeau has received an Academic Excellence Scholarship to attend Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg, Mo. The daughter of David and Janice Phelps, she is a senior at Notre Dame Regional High School.
* Stacey Fike of Jackson, Morgan Campbell of Scott City and Andreia Wondel of Oran, Mo., have been awarded a Missouri Assessment Program Scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University for the 2006-2007 academic year. Fike, a senior at Jackson High School, is the daughter of Pam Counts of Jackson and Ron Fike of Tecumseh, Kan. Campbell, a senior at Scott City High School, is the daughter of Jackie Dannenmueller and Ray Campbell. Wondel, the daughter of Donnie and Sherry Wondel, is a senior at Bell City High School.
* Kami Miinch of Millersville has been awarded a Governor's Scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University for the 2006-2007 academic year. A Jackson High School senior, she is the daughter of Dwane and Diane Miinch.
* Rachel Watkins of Scott City has been awarded the Principal's Leadership Award Scholarship. A senior at Scott City High School, she plans to attend the University of Missouri-Columbia this fall.
Hyslop, Schroeder make Evansville's dean's list
Sarah Hyslop and Walter Schroeder, both of Cape Girardeau, and Alex Ramsey of Burfordville have been named to the University of Evansville dean's list.
Baker graduates from Purdue with Ph.D.
Kristi Thompson Baker of Greenfield, Ind., formerly of Cape Girardeau, graduated from Purdue University in Lafayette, Ind., in December with a Ph.D. A graduate of Cape Girardeau Central High School, she is the daughter of Ed and Marsha Thompson of Cape Girardeau.