- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)17
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Humane Society fund-raiser gives animal lovers a virtual trip to Rome
The "Stray Cat Strut," event to benefit The Humane Society of Southeast Missouri promises guests the adventure of being transported to Rome without leaving the Bavarian Halle in Fruitland.
The Roman-themed dinner dance is a salute to Rome, which cares for and feeds an estimated stray cat population of about 300,000 (estimated by the City of Rome's Animals' Rights Office). The event will support the Humane Society's goals to provide refuge for homeless animals, adopt them into loving homes, advocate spaying and neutering as a solution to pet overpopulation and to educate the community about responsible pet ownership.
Hosts of the event are Mary Ann and Andrew Maloney. The dinner will be catered by Chartwells with entertainment by Trademark. The menu incorporates a little bit of Roman cuisine with chicken provencal and penne pasta as the main entree.
Fountains, grapes and toga-clad women will set the stage for the dinner, and evening attire is appropriate. "The evening is more about raising money for the Humane Society than the type of clothing you will wear," said Cheryle Dillon, Humane Society of Southeast Missouri events and outreach coordinator.
Tickets can be purchased at the Humane Society, 2536 Boutin Drive, or online at www.semopets.org and must be purchased by Wednesday. Guests will be eligible to win an all-inclusive trip for two to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Activities begin at 6:30 p.m. with hors d'oeuvres followed by a 7 p.m. dinner. Guests may have portrait photos made by Cheekwood Studios during the evening.
335-6611, extension 133