- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Club news 1/18/06
New Salem UMW
The United Methodist Women of New Salem Church in Daisy met at the home of Verla Mangels on Jan. 4. Dorothy Hahs, president, opened the meeting. A committee list for 2006 was passed around for each person to sign up for projects they wanted to help with. All members told who their elderly secret pals were in 2005 and what they had done for them. There were 36 sick/shut-in calls made during December.
Hahs went over the correspondence. The spring district meeting will be held March 25 at Perryville, Mo. The fall district meeting will be held Sept. 9 at Poplar Bluff, Mo. Other items and dates were discussed.
A note from Cletus and Stella Hahs' daughter, Beverly, was read. She was thanking the UMW for the birthday dinner for Cletus' 90th birthday.
The fourth-quarter pledge will be given to a woman in our community whose house burned.
The nursing home visitation schedule was discussed and Jackie Kurre will visit in January. It was decided the collection of loose change this year will go toward a sound system for the church fellowship hall. Kurre will check on this.
UMW voted to continue with our adopted elderly person. An offering will be taken each quarter and given to her.
UMW will host the Vigortone dinner on Feb. 23.
Mangels presented the program and refreshments were served afterward. The next meeting will be held Feb. 1 at the home of Barbara Brown. Members are to bring valentines to be signed and mailed to friends and shut-ins.
Town & Country FCE
The Town & Country FCE Club met on Jan. 12 at Grecian Steak House in Cape Girardeau. This was also the annual birthday party. Mary Klaproth, Doris Wilkinson and Judy Johnson were co-hostesses.
Klaproth presented the devotional and the club collect was recited.
Lois Seabaugh, president, conducted a short business meeting, with the reading of the minutes and treasurer's report. Carolyn Thompson led the group in a puzzle game.
Plans were finalized for the upcoming garage sale to be held Jan. 28 at the Osage Community Centre in Cape Girardeau.
Volunteer hours were collected for 2005, and Seabaugh read the constitution and bylaws.
"Club Out" will be held Jan. 26 at Bella Italia in Cape Girardeau. The next meeting will be held Feb. 9 at the home of Klaproth.
-- From staff reports