- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
CAIRO, Ill. -- Lowell R. "Red" Carter, 82, of Eldorado, Ill., formerly of Cairo, died Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2006, at Southgate Health Care Center in Metropolis, Ill.
He was born July 4, 1923, in Burnt Prairie, Ill., son of Silas and Hattie Marie Phillips Carter. He married Dolores Carter, who preceded him in death.
Carter owned and operated Carter's Phillips 66 Service Station many years. He was a member and deacon of Cairo Baptist Church, member of American Legion, Elks Lodge 651 in Cairo, and lifetime member of Cairo VFW Post 2649.
He served in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Survivors include three daughters, Barbara Whitehead of Charleston, Mo., Lorie and Amanda Carter of Cape Girardeau; a son, Marshall Carter of Kevil, Ky.; three brothers, Bill Carter of Mill Shoals, Ill., Robert Carter of Fairfield, Ill., James Carter of Evansville, Ind.; a sister, Lou Stewart of Mill Shoals; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
He was preceded in death by a brother and a sister.
Friends may call at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday.
Graveside service will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at White County Memorial Gardens in Carmi, Ill., with Dr. Larry Potts officiating. Military honors will be conducted by Carmi VFW Post 3851 and Carmi American Legion Post.