- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)3
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)3
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Jackson School District giving away bricks from 'Old A' building (6/23/17)2
Stolen items are quickly recovered
To the editor:
I would like to give a big "hats off" to officer Jeffrey Nichols, officer Shaun Smelser and Dan with loss prevention at Target. My car was broken into, and packages I planned on returning the following day were stolen along with receipts. The next morning I contacted the police station. I told officer Nichols I had thought about contacting the stores involved and giving them a heads-up. Everyone at Target, Famous Barr, J.C. Penney and Trade Secrets was helpful and kind.
After lunch, I received a phone call from Dan, the loss prevention man with Target, stating that an individual had called regarding the store's return policy. Dan said he though this might be the person and they would be watching for someone to make a return. I contacted officer Nichols and gave him the information.
The time from making the initial call to the police to the time the man was caught was six hours. Thank you to the crime-stoppers at Target and to the police officers who responded to my call so quickly. This was short of miracle. The items were recovered in such a short amount of time. There are truly angels on Earth. My new year is looking up. Thanks again.
A. KATHY WESTRICH, Cape Girardeau