- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Still time to sign up for prescription plan
To the editor:
There is good news for the people of Missouri. You can still sign up for the new Medicare prescription drug plan. With the new program, Medicare beneficiaries will save an average of $1,300 a year on prescription drugs. Some of those who have already signed up tell us they will realize even greater savings.
If you are on Medicare, you can sign up without penalty until May 15. If you turn 65 later, you will have a seven-month window to sign up. If you need help in choosing a plan or have questions about the prescription drug plan, you can call the Missouri CLAIM office at 1-800-390-3330 or Medicare at 1-800-633-4227. Medicare is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also enroll by visiting www.medicare.gov. Both Medicare and CLAIM can help choose the plan that best fits your needs based on the prescription medicine you take.
If you have a limited income, you may be able to get extra help that can get you comprehensive coverage for no premium, no deductible and only a small copayment. To find out how to apply for the extra help, please call your nearest Social Security Administration office or call 1-800-772-1213.
FRED SCHUSTER, Regional Director, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Kansas City, Mo.