- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Southeast Missourian wins Suburban Newspapers of America awards
The Southeast Missourian won five awards, including first place for Best Coverage of Local Business and Economic News, in the 2005 Editorial Contest sponsored by the Suburban Newspapers of America.
The newspaper's business section was edited by Scott Moyers.
Bob Miller, now the news editor, won two awards: second prize for Best Breaking News Story, his description of how a suspect was caught four minutes after a Jackson bank robbery; and a third prize for Best Feature Series for "Test by Pregnancy," which chronicled a Leopold, Mo., couple's courageous quest to have a baby.
The Southeast Missourian also won second prizes for Best Front Page for pages designed by Gabe Hartwig and for Best Column Writing, managing editor Sam Blackwell's column "Letters from Home."