- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
Whole world could use Christmas cheer
To the editor:
Certain people of America are signing a petition to replace the word "Christmas" with the word "holiday." These people want to celebrate Christmas without the most important part, Christ's birthday. They want to call a Christmas tree a holiday tree, but not only that, they also want to sing carols that don't include the words "Christmas," "Christ" or anything biblical, so they will call these songs holiday carols. There's good news and bad news about this. The bad news is that many people are for replacing the word, but the good news is that most of Congress and President Bush are keeping Christ in Christmas.
Whoever thought of changing Christmas' name really needs to reflect on the true meaning of Christmas. I, as a Christian, think Christmas is a very beautiful word because Christmas makes me think of a time of comfort and love between families and friends. Changing the holiday because it has to do with Jesus Christ is outrageous because you might as well delete the whole holiday. I was speechless when I saw this on the news. Americans have freedom of speech, press and religion. I bet the people who want to take Christ out of Christmas wouldn't want to take God out of the Jewish holy day Hanukkah. Personally, I think we all need to keep Christ in Christmas because with all the war, crime and terrorism, the whole world could use some Christmas cheer.
JOSH SELLERS, Jackson