- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Area sports digest 12/22/05
Former AD Sloan honored in Florida
Former Southeast Missouri State athletic director Russ Sloan was honored Dec. 18 by the University of South Florida during its winter commencement services.
Sloan, who was AD at Southeast from 1977 to 1979, was given the President's Distinguished Citizen Award, which is given in recognition of an individual's public service.
Sloan was honored for his leadership as president and chief executive officer of the St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce. The chamber was honored as the 2004-05 Metro Chamber of the Year in Florida to cap his service. Sloan led the chamber for 11 years before accepting a position as executive director of the Florida Council of Economic Education in Tampa.
Sloan came to Southeast after coaching football at the former Northeast Missouri State from 1969 to 1971 and then serving as director of motor vehicles and licensing for the state of Missouri from 1973 to 1976.
Notre Dame taking nominations for Hall
The Notre Dame Athletic Booster Club is accepting nominations for the Notre Dame Sports Hall of Fame.
The deadline is Dec. 30. Nomination forms and guidelines may be found on the Notre Dame Web site, www.notredamehighschool.org Nominees must have graduated at least 10 years ago.
Completed nominations may be mailed to the Hall of Fame Committee, Notre Dame High School, 256 Notre Dame Drive, Cape Girardeau, 63701 Hall of Fame Inductees will be recognized at halftime of the game set for 4:30 p.m. Jan. 21 For more information, contact athletic director Paul Hale at 335-1448.
MDC updating Red Star Access site
The Missouri Department of Conservation closed the Red Star Mississippi River Access on Dec. 14 for remodeling and updates.
Also known as the Honkers Access, Red Star is the only river access with a dock. Construction is expected to be completed in 30 to 90 days, depending on weather.
The department encourages boaters to use the Thebes access in Illinois or the Trail of Tears access.
When completed, Red Star will feature a double wide concrete ramp, a pavilion, restrooms, a concrete parking lot and improved lighting. Docking facilities will remain unchanged.
For more information, call (573) 290-5730, extension 232.
-- From staff reports