- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)13
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Scores of whales beached in New Zealand
WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- More than 100 pilot whales have beached on New Zealand's South Island, and at least 19 have died, officials said.
Conservation workers and volunteers rushed to keep the surviving members of the pod covered with moisture today.
Workers had tracked the 123-member pod of whales since it was first seen Tuesday apparently confused and milling around near the shore.
New Zealand has several mass strandings each summer. Experts have been unable to explain why the whales swim into dangerously shallow waters.