- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)3
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
Man sentenced to life in murder of nun
NORFOLK, Va. -- A man pleaded guilty Monday to murdering a 67-year-old nun he abducted from Georgia, and was sentenced to life without parole.
Adrian Robinson, 25, entered his plea in the slaying of Sister Philomena Fogarty, whose decapitated body was found in Virginia Beach.
He could have gotten the death penalty if convicted at a trial.
Prosecutor John R. Doyle III said he agreed to the compromise because it produced the result sought by the other nun abducted with Fogarty, Sister Lucie Kristofik.
Police in Georgia said Robinson killed his father, shooting him 16 times, in the town of Hamilton in March, then abducted the nuns from their home nearby. He still faces murder charges in Georgia.
Kristofik, 72, said Robinson took $900 in cash, bound the nuns, put them in their car and drove to Norfolk, nearly 600 miles away.
Two days later, Kristofik went to the front desk of a Norfolk motel, and told authorities Robinson had held the two women there before leaving with Fogarty.
Police found Fogarty's body on March 26 in a parking lot. Her head, hands and feet had been cut off. Robinson was arrested several hours later at a restaurant.