- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Learning briefs 12/13/05
Jackson native receives scholarship at MU
Maria Oehl, of Jackson, Mo., recently received the William H. Fisher and Lennie H. and J. Ephraim Downing Memorial Fund Scholarship from the College of Education at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Oehl, a sophomore elementary education major, is a 2004 graduate of Jackson High School. She is the daughter of Doyle and Jane Oehl. At MU, she serves as a college of education ambassador.
Butterfly award taking youth nominations
IRVINE, Calif. -- Nominations are being accepted for the second annual Alexandra Scott Butterfly Award, presented by Volvo Cars of North America to celebrate young everyday heroes. Any child or teen seeking to improve the quality of life, safety, or environment of others is eligible for nomination. The Alexandra Scott Butterfly Award is part of the Volvo for life Awards, Volvo's annual program to seek out and celebrate heroes of all ages. Through Jan. 15, individuals nationwide are encouraged to visit www.volvoforlifeawards. com to nominate a child hero they know. Volvo will donate $25,000 to the Butterfly Award winner's charity of choice. In April Volvo will honor the three category winners at the Volvo for life Awards Ceremony in New York City. Each year the event features top music entertainment and a celebrity host, as well as documentaries profiling the category winners. The grand award winner, selected by the judges, will be named "America's Greatest Hometown Hero" and presented with a Volvo car every three years for the rest of his or her life.
-- From staff reports