- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Everybody's a critic: 'Aeon Flux'
Having been based on a series of animated shorts aired by MTV, the live-action version of "Aeon Flux" tries to match the spirit of its animated cousin. Unfortunately, it translates badly.
The movie is set more than 400 years into the future. However, the scenery looks too much like the set of a movie -- fake, not sophisticated. To make matters worse, there are certain scientific and social issues in the movie that make it even more unbelievable. The hollow characters do not improve the unreasonable plot of the movie and vice-versa. Ironically, the movie's lame plot does eventually explain why I felt so little for the characters, including the title character/heroine Aeon Flux.
Ultimately, subpar special effects and flashy camera shots further confirm "Aeon Flux" as the flop that it is. For those who require a sufficient level of realism and believability in their sci-fi action movies, this movie falls short.
-- Kevin Skelton
Three stars (out of four)
"Aeon Flux" really surprised me! I am not a huge fan of science fiction movies and didn't have a very open mind walking into the theater to watch this film. This movie, however, had an interesting plot, was filled with action, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I was a little confused by some of the far-fetched gadgets used. Those who have seen the show on which the movie was based may have had an easier time following these parts (my husband and I just looked at each other, baffled).
I must note that I am leery of the PG-13 rating this film received because it was full of violent, bloody fighting and borderline nudity. I don't consider myself naive, but it definitely had R-rated content. My boys are ages 7 and 11, and they won't be seeing this movie. Overall, this was a great film with an exciting -- almost scary -- plot and neat special effects.
-- Leslie Wright-Essner, teacher
One star (out of four)
Assuming this movie, "Aeon Flux," could become reality, we have six years before only 1 percent of the earth's population will survive after a virus (could avian flu be a reality?) wipes out the other 99 percent of us.
For more than 400 years the small population lives enclosed within a concrete wall ruled by one man. As with any dictator, power can go to one's head and those behind the scenes can undermine any good intentions.
The twists and turns keep you on your toes as the plot thickens. It centers on the fact that the virus caused sterility so cloning is used upon death to assure the human race continues. The philosophy "We should live only once then give way to people who might do it better" leaves you with a lot to think about.
The violence at times seems overwhelming and unnecessary, and I question the PG-13 rating. This is not a film I'll buy for my home library.
-- Marlene Creech, teacher