- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)26
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)8
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
'Gentleman bank robber' suspect under arrest
OCALA, Fla. -- A man suspected of being the "Gentleman Bank Robber" -- a holdup man who waited patiently in line at four banks, then thanked tellers for the cash -- has been arrested, authorities said Friday.
Larkin Lloyd Derks, 49, was arrested without a struggle at a motel early Thursday and charged with four counts of strong-arm robbery, cocaine possession and other offenses.
As he was being taken to a squad car, reporters asked whether Derks had anything to say to the tellers, and he replied: "I already thanked them."
Investigators said Derks confessed to robbing the central Florida banks and told them he has a drug problem. Police said they formed a profile of the robber through tellers' descriptions. They arrested Derks after getting tips that a man fitting the description was staying at an area motel.
"He expressed relief. It was a combination of a lot of things, like the drug problem, we're after him, the bank robberies, everything," said sheriff's Maj. Mike McQuaig.
It was not immediately known if Derks had a lawyer Friday.
Authorities would not say how much money was stolen.