- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
'Gentleman bank robber' suspect under arrest
OCALA, Fla. -- A man suspected of being the "Gentleman Bank Robber" -- a holdup man who waited patiently in line at four banks, then thanked tellers for the cash -- has been arrested, authorities said Friday.
Larkin Lloyd Derks, 49, was arrested without a struggle at a motel early Thursday and charged with four counts of strong-arm robbery, cocaine possession and other offenses.
As he was being taken to a squad car, reporters asked whether Derks had anything to say to the tellers, and he replied: "I already thanked them."
Investigators said Derks confessed to robbing the central Florida banks and told them he has a drug problem. Police said they formed a profile of the robber through tellers' descriptions. They arrested Derks after getting tips that a man fitting the description was staying at an area motel.
"He expressed relief. It was a combination of a lot of things, like the drug problem, we're after him, the bank robberies, everything," said sheriff's Maj. Mike McQuaig.
It was not immediately known if Derks had a lawyer Friday.
Authorities would not say how much money was stolen.