- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Judge hears Mosby's formerly suppressed confession at Robinson hearing (8/9/17)
- $34 million student housing project on schedule, developer says (8/14/17)2
'Gentleman bank robber' suspect under arrest
OCALA, Fla. -- A man suspected of being the "Gentleman Bank Robber" -- a holdup man who waited patiently in line at four banks, then thanked tellers for the cash -- has been arrested, authorities said Friday.
Larkin Lloyd Derks, 49, was arrested without a struggle at a motel early Thursday and charged with four counts of strong-arm robbery, cocaine possession and other offenses.
As he was being taken to a squad car, reporters asked whether Derks had anything to say to the tellers, and he replied: "I already thanked them."
Investigators said Derks confessed to robbing the central Florida banks and told them he has a drug problem. Police said they formed a profile of the robber through tellers' descriptions. They arrested Derks after getting tips that a man fitting the description was staying at an area motel.
"He expressed relief. It was a combination of a lot of things, like the drug problem, we're after him, the bank robberies, everything," said sheriff's Maj. Mike McQuaig.
It was not immediately known if Derks had a lawyer Friday.
Authorities would not say how much money was stolen.